Sunday, November 10, 2013

It just takes one

Today I had one of those experiences that is thankfully very rare. But the fact that they happen at all is the reason why cyclists can feel threatened on the road. I've ridden thousands of miles and encountered (I suspect) thousands of cars. I would say 90% are great, 5% a little close, 4% too close, 0.9% way too close and then the 0.1% just plain terrifying.
The point is it just takes one of these encounters to go a little wrong and I might not be here. Or I might be here but significantly altered. Neither scenario is a pleasant thought and I can see why some non-cyclists can't believe the risks we "roadies" take and why some "roadies" are very nervous.
This morning's incident was even worse for being in town; normally a slower speed environment and although towns have other dangers (car doors, dogs, pedestrians etc) they are usually safer in terms of life threatening incidents. Round here anyway.
The close call went like this. I was arriving at a roundabout with three roads, one to my left, mine and one to my right. I was turning right. British road regulations gives right of way to vehicles to the driver's (cyclist's) right. I checked the road on the right and it was clear. I checked the road on the left and it was also clear; I'm not stupid - car drivers are sometimes a little odd when it comes to bicycles. I checked the right road again and carried on as it was still clear. It was early in the ride and I was slightly dubious about the grip on the road (cold and slightly damp isn't a good combination) so I was taking it slowly. Perhaps this was lucky because the next thing I was aware of was a red car speeding through the gap between my front wheel and the pavement. It sped off up the hill. Looking back I realised I was aware of the engine noise from my left, of a car that wasn't slowing down. This tone is easily recognisable but is usually heard from directly behind. Experience has taught me that a car coming up behind me like that is not going to give me much room or respect but an overtaking manoeuvre is a very different thing from being hit from the side. Perhaps, just perhaps, I should have been more aware. But I think that misses the point. I had right of way and, from my position, this driving wasn't an error of judgement but a deliberate act of someone who didn't want to wait 50 yards until an overtake would have been safe and easy. It's nice to know that my life isn't even worth a few seconds from someone else's journey.
And then there's a second issue. This incident shook me up and left me feeling very vulnerable for a bit of my journey. I almost turned back and went home. I shouldn't have to do that, and I shouldn't be made to feel like that. I'll remind you of my comment above. It only takes one. Please make sure it's not you.

As to the ride itself, I don't really have much to say. Once I got past Crail and started to settle down the sun was out and the day was beautiful. Basically I pootled about in south east Fife on the flatter roads with two longer climbs in the midst of them. The views across the Forth and down to Kirkaldy were lovely and the camaraderie of the other cyclists I saw was lovely. I could have done more but by the time I got back to St. Andrews I was happy to call it a day. More miles towards the target, and a (mostly) lovely day out on the roads.

The Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment