Sunday, January 4, 2015

The new trike

Well, I did it. Bought a trike that is. Another small test ride with a hard shell seat convinced me it was ok and I went ahead. A couple of weeks later I took possession of an ICE Sprint 26x. Lovely. Since then I have ridden it around here a little and it's still fun but it's also very different. Here it is suspended on a couple of garden walls. It's easier to clean like that.

The new trike
With it being winter the weather is not exactly perfect for getting used to a new pedal driven machine (I can't really call it a bike...) but I have taken a few opportunities. I've been out twice in the dark allowing me to see where lights can be mounted. Rear lights are simple enough, mounted on the neck rest. Front lights are easy enough to mount on the accessory mount beside the chain rings but they aren't very high and getting enough illumination from them isn't easy. I think I blinded a couple of drivers when I was out the first time. The other problem is that I can't adjust them easily on the move because they are along way from my hands.

The other issue is one of storage. I need two sizes of spare inner tube and tools as well as drinks and snacks. With no access to back pockets this is a bigger headache than normal. I now have 3 water bottle cages and a couple of small bags. That was enough space for me to carry some food last time I was out and I even managed a snack on the move. Progress!

Not that I'm able to go very far yet. Last time out I did about 23 miles including the distance to the start and finish and that was tiring. The laid back pedalling action is different. I'm trying to keep the pressure off my knees, the cadence high, and pull the horizon towards the bike. I might feel like I'm getting there but I suspect it will be a long journey.

Now I have a new machine issue, a rubbing front derailleur but I'm not used to a friction shift so that might also take a little time and effort to sort. It needs sorted for sure, I don't need it to be any less efficient.  Which brings me to the question of speed. I feel it's slow at the moment. I'm hoping that with time I will pick up a little but I'm sure I will never challenge the road bike. The tandem, maybe; that's my target for the time being.

Looking at what I've written here it almost seems like I don't like the trike. That's not true, but it's not an unreserved love affair yet. There are other reasons for the trike. But that's a post for another day.

Ride


This latest ride made me feel like I am progressing. It followed a loop I've done often on the bike so I felt I wasn't compromising my distance because of the trike. It also allowed me to enjoy the different view available from the recumbent position.  I saw more buzzards than I have in a while and a kestrel. The wide views were also great despite not being able to see over the hedgerows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment