Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cold and breezy

Today ended up being a ride I was glad to get done. In my head I know that not all rides are going to be a blast but I am still disappointed that I didn't enjoy today as much as I might. I'm not really sure why I didn't as the sun was out and the roads were dry. Perhaps the lower temperature and the cool west-northwest breeze played their part. The breeze certainly sapped my energy, both physical and mental, from me. Especially on the sections where it seemed to be blowing into my face from the wrong direction! That's just not fair.
What I can take away from the ride is that I didn't give up. I even did a little detour near the end to get the mileage up to the 60 miles I wanted to do. So I have to call it a successful day and leave it at that.
I'm hoping that when I ride the Lighthouse to Lighthouse there will not be a wind in my face all the way. And for a couple of warmer days. Of course I'm riding through Highland Scotland where winter can come on any day of the year.

The Ride

There were two sides to this ride. The first half was relatively flat, although the westward sections were hard into the wind. Then the second 30 miles went over the hills to Cupar and then home via Ceres. A good route.

Road User Notes

In reality there were no great idiots on the road today. A couple of vehicles closer than I would like but all in all a good day in the traffic. To those who gave me lots of room a great big thanks. To those a little closer, why the hurry?
Today was the first time I saw a large bunch of cyclists all out together. And I have to say that I can see why some drivers would get frustrated. They were a large bunch, probably a bus length long and taking up a fair amount of road. On the other hand they have every right to be there; just like slow tractors.
Perhaps all us road users just have to be a little more tolerant of the others out there. Of course that's not so easy when you feel a little vulnerable; as you do on a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment