Monday, May 14, 2012

Fear of the unknown

It's the 14th of May and that means I've a month to go before I start the Lighthouse to Lighthouse challenge. I'm not quite sure I can believe how soon this date has come around. I started training last July when I got the road bike and here we are now with just two weeks to go before I start tapering my work down so that I should be in a good position to do the ride.
And how do I think I'm doing? I think I'd say a cautious OK. I don't think that I could have done much more training. Perhaps better training, but in terms of quantity I don't think I could be much better off. There's a good number of miles in the legs. I know that to be true, I can feel them as I write.
The things that weigh upon my mind are now pretty much the things I can't control. I'd like the weather to be favourable but I can't do anything about it so all I can do is be prepared. Might I have a mechanical issue with the bike on the day? I might but I can only plan for it. So I have inner tubes all over the place. Unsurprisingly, after spoke breakages, I have spare wheels. What I would love is one of these team cars with all of bikes and gear you see in races like the Tour de France. And a mechanic!
So the only thing I can control is me. I'll do my best to stay healthy without injury sustained on the bike or in the gym. The most important thing I need to do is to stop worrying. That's going to be harder then all the training.
The fear of the unknown - who'd have thought it?

No comments:

Post a Comment