Sunday, November 13, 2011

Same weekend - different days

The two days this weekend couldn't have been more different. First there was the weather. Saturday was sunny and bright; a delight to ride in especially in November. Sunday, on the other hand, was grey, dank and cold. There was a nasty south east breeze that made the second half of my ride very uncomfortable. Then there were the rides themselves. Saturday, because of time constraints, was on the short side although I lengthened my usual short training run and rode it in reverse. This avoided the steep hill at the end that I was none too keen on having tweaked my back earlier in the week (fixing a puncture on my town bike - typical). Then on Sunday I resolved to ride a long loop round north east Fife. So despite the weather out I went. You can see the results below. The good news is that my back survived both rides and feels much better for having been out. Sacrificing a couple of gym sessions did the trick.

Riding with company

I had a new experience during my ride today. Company. For a little while at least. A fellow cyclist caught up with me at the beginning of the climb to Gauldry. I assumed he would exchange pleasantries and ride on; he was clearly faster than me. But no, and the climb went by without me really noticing it as we chatted. Still assuming he would ride on I was surprised when he appeared to be happy to ride on with me. We were both heading towards Newburgh where our paths would diverge. It was with great pleasure that I rode with him for 11 or so miles. He extracted his revenge for my slowness for, despite his mudguards, I was well splattered with mud by the time we reached Newburgh. I need to get quicker and be in front.
So, whoever you were, thanks for adding to my enjoyment of training today.
For those who have never cycled with company I would highly recommend it. Especially, I suspect, if your companion(s) are slightly better than you. As long as they are willing to encourage then it is a chance to learn and test yourself. I also found myself pay less attention to the bike computer. With the result that I rode more freely, and a bit quicker than I might have done on my own. It also makes hills go more quickly, even if you are chasing someone else's wheel.

The Rides


The data from both rides this weekend shares an oddity. The Garmin GPS doesn't seem to have an accurate height for my starting position resulting in some odd height values. I think the differences are correct, so I'll have to live with that. Either that or some of Fife is below sea level. I think not!

Saturday


The shorter training run from the weekend. A slightly longer than normal route, and I tried to keep the speed up. I wish I could have ridden for longer, but that's life.

Sunday


After dinner out with friends on Saturday night it was hard to get up and go out for this ride. But go out I did and managed my longest ride to date.


Road User Awards

Not much to say here; no really bad driving to report. I would like to ask why it seems to be mostly BMWs that give as little room as possible? On the other side of the coin no great driving to report either. Lots of very considerate driving, which is always nice.
My own road user of the weekend has to be my Sunday companion as he was obviously cycling well within his own abilities in order to share the experience. Thanks again.

2 comments:

  1. Re Fife being under sea level. Looking at some of our fields it could well be! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the roads look like fields so it's only fair... :-)

    ReplyDelete