Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hoping for a nice weekend

After last week's very windy weather I am hoping for a better weekend this week. Sadly it doesn't look like we are going to get it. Apart from snow and ice (they will definitely keep me off the roads) wind is my least favourite weather component. It is both physically and mentally sapping and downright dangerous if it is really strong. It takes the pleasure away from the ambling around the countryside on the bicycle.
Turbo
Last Sunday I was desperate enough to pop the bike on a turbo trainer. What this blog hasn't touched on, so far, is the amount of non-road cycling training I do. Four times a week you will find me in the gym, mostly cardio work with a couple of sessions of weights as well. So I thought I'd be ok with the bike on a turbo in the front porch. I made sure I had drinks, eats, and music because I suspected it might be quite dull. I was right. Despite my best efforts, in changing resistances, cadences etc, to try and make it like a real ride it came down to 2 hours of pedalling in one place. I'm glad I did it thought and, if need be, that's where you'll find me again this weekend. I need to keep the legs turning over, and a bit of Status Quo never goes amiss.
Maintenance
The one downside of not going out on Saturday was that I decided to give the bike a thorough check over. I've now changed the chain and after examining the wheels I reckon I'm going to have to service the hubs. So, if it is really horrible this weekend, you'll also find me up to my elbows in tools and ball bearings. I hope there's nothing nasty going on in there. Just another thing to thank all that mud for....
Let's hope that next week brings another report of nice road miles, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment