Monday, March 12, 2012

Big Weekend

Early last week the weather forecast for the weekend was promising dry days with light breezes. And with that in mind I hatched a plan. I've been concerned about doing two long rides back to back, so I decided that I should see where my fitness and endurance levels were. The plan evolved like this; ride to Edinburgh on Saturday morning and then attempt 100 miles around Fife on Sunday. That would give me around 160 miles of recorded cycling; I tend to stop and start the computer a little way from the house. A good test.
Plans are always good on paper; here's how the days actually went.
Saturday
Sadly, as the week went on the weather forecast changed and the winds increased. Being as stubborn as I am I refused to change my route and so I headed out. I was taking a circuitous route to Edinburgh and started by going north and west. The trip along the north coast of Fife from Wormit to Abernethy was tough. Hills I would usally ease down at 20mph plus had me struggling to reach 18mph. Still, I got there and, having done so, enjoyed the turn in the road that started to take me south.
I had a lovely run down through Glenfarg which took me right back to my childhood as it was the road we used to travel on to visit my grandparents in Perth. This road took me down to Milnathort and Kinross where I was to meet up with my support. This was (and is) being supplied by my Significant Other. I spotted the car in the appointed place and tucked into the requested sandwich. Fantastic. There were some other cyclists getting ready to go north as I looked to go south. No help there then.
Fed and watered, I headed off to Edinburgh. The wind continued to blow but mostly from the side which is easier to deal with most of the time until it threatens to blow you off the road or into the cars. The Forth Road Bridge was also a lot of fun. I felt I had the bike leant over at about 45 degrees into the wind. I'm sure it wasn't but that's the way it felt.
The first time I rode to Edinburgh I used the bike path all the way from Dalmeny to the edge of Edinburgh but found it uncomfortably narrow. So I decided to take the roads this time and it worked out a lot better. The other thing I noticed was how much fresher I felt when I arrived than I did last time. It must be all this training.
One small addendum to the day was that the Significant Other forgot to bring my shoes so I spent the rest of our time in Edinburgh wearing my bike shoes. It's a good job I decided on SPD cleats all those months ago...

The Ride


Sunday
With the 60 odd miles in the bag on Saturday I was buoyed up for the ride on Sunday although somewhat apprehensive. My longest run until this was around the 70 mile mark and I knew the step up would be a large one.
Again, disappointingly, the winds were stronger than the original forecasts had had them. This led to a slow and sapping first 25 miles or so across the middle of Fife. At least the scenery and wildlife made up for it. When deciding on the route I had decided not to make the day too hilly but I didn't want to shy away from the hills entirely either. Of course I hadn't counted on the invisible hills created by the wind. C'est la vie!
At Strathmiglo I took on the longest hill I would do in the day. A route over the hill to Abernethy, never too steep, just a little relentless. It passed easily enough. It was, at least, not directly into the wind; in fact I suspect I got some help on some sections. Then the speedy descent which had me grinning from ear to ear and some mountain bikers shaking their heads as they struggled up.
The next section to Luthrie, including a stop at the excellently stocked petrol station in Newburgh, went smoothly and I found myself at the bottom of the hill at Luthrie. This hill and the one up to Hazelton Walls were nearly my undoing. I don't know why but I felt tired and dispirited on the way up to the crossroads. I promised myself a stop there but with the top in sight I just had to stop. The excuse of a call of nature was all I needed.
Looking at my computer I realised I had done 50 miles, only half of my intended distance. I actually wondered what I was doing out there. And why I ever thought could ride 125 miles through the hilly country of the West Highlands. A seat on the wall and another flapjack set me on my way. At this point I was aiming for my lunch stop at a friend's house where, once again, the Significant Other would be waiting with some sandwiches. I had 15 miles to go before that though.
Down to the outskirts of Wormit was ok; probably because it was mostly downhill. Then out to the A92 and then the bitter challenge of a couple of miles cycling into the teeth of the breeze. I hesitate to call it a wind but it hurt me all the same. The next challenge was the steep climb out of Kilmany towards Cupar. This was to be the steepest climb of the day and at 60 miles I wasn't sure my route planning was at all sensible. A quick stop in the hamlet itself beside the statue of the racing driver Jim Clark and I was ready to face the hill.
In reality the hill caused little problem. I'm not for one minute suggesting it was easy but there was never any chance of me needing to stop and I eased my way over the first (and steepest) section of what seems like a never-ending hill. Then an ok descent into Cupar with one short climb taken very easily.
And then, at 65 miles, lunch. It is amazing what some good company and a little food does for you. It was a longish stop, probably too long really but by the end of it I was well rested and ready to go. My friend had volunteered to come out with me for some miles and I hoped to have company for the rest of the ride. This is the same friend (Giff) who came out a few weeks ago and I was looking forward to some slow miles (not that I'd been going at express pace) just to make sure I got it done. It was a day for mileage not speed!
Sadly Giff didn't feel right and decided to head home from Peat Inn. However, slow and steady had done the trick and I was almost done with climbs and wind for the day. Downhill pretty much all of the way into Kilconquhar where my chain fell off my little chainring. Very annoying and that late in the ride it took me a while to sort it all out.
Arriving in Elie meant time for another stop, more flapjack and a quick stock take of miles and fluids. 17 miles to go for the century. I felt much better about it now. I know I can ride 17 miles.
I loved the blast along to Anstruther. Wind at my back, flat roads; lovely! Close to home now. A quick turn up onto the St. Andrews road and I'm hit by some wind again. Surely not and I realise it's mostly across so i will get the odd bit every now and again as the road turns. A little up the road and I realise that the straight road home will not give me my 100 miles and I'm going to have to do a little detour. Don't get me wrong. I knew this, my planned route had all this in it; I'd just forgotten. And, of course, half the detour would be back into the wind and a little uphill. I can tell you now that it felt more than a little uphill. In sight of the main road I took one last break, ate a flapjack downed some of the last of my drinks (leaving a little just in case) and then headed, finally, on the last section. I took this picture.

My last stop
One last hill into St. Andrews from Dunino. It's more of a slope really and I entertained myself by singing on the last wee bit. It kept my legs going. I had enough strength to pick up the pace on the other side, right the way to the edge of town. There the computer was switched off and I coasted the rest of the way home.
My first century.
A day later and I'm still chuffed. But I'm realistic too. Both days from lighthouse to lighthouse are longer and have more climbing in them than this ride so it's on with the training. But at least the mileage doesn't worry me so much now.

The Ride


Silliness
Don't try this at home. I had less than 10 miles to go and I was a little bored. Then I saw my shadow, pedalling along in front of me. I couldn't resist and here's the photo to prove it. I take no responsibility for any injury caused attempting to copy this.

Big legs, tiny head!

No comments:

Post a Comment