Sunday, March 4, 2012

Training is not always fun

I've enjoyed most of my training especially when I've been out riding on the roads. Yesterday's ride was an exception to the rule. I had set myself the challenge of riding a good chunk of the steep hills I know of in Fife. First in the north, then as hilly a ride down to Lower Largo on Fife's south coast before turning north-east for one last big hill to take me home.
The weather forecast wasn't great with a stiff south-east breeze on the cards and cloudy to boot. In the end those clouds also brought a fair amount of drizzle and then rain. None of this made riding a bicycle very pleasant.
I sucked it up and rode anyway. By the time I got to Chance Inn I was wet and cold. The riding had been tough and a little slower than I would have liked. The speed issue forced my hand as I was under time pressure to get home. So I was saved a little more riding in the wind and the cold breeze and I headed home. I think I'd have managed the riding but I wasn't entirely unhappy to cut it short.
It is a ride that I am proud of because I stuck to the task, climbed some tough slopes and survived the rain and the cold. I might have to put up with the same when I ride across Scotland so it was good experience. I'm hoping when I do the ride that I get a bright day with no wind, or a west wind if I have to have a breeze. No east blow, please!
If you are reading this and haven't donated to the cause yet, please do. I am suffering for it, so click on the link! Thanks.

The ride

No comments:

Post a Comment