Thursday, March 29, 2012

Perfect day

I had a day off work today and enjoyed it all. Having the whole day off gave me the opportunity to have a game of golf in the morning and then fit my training run in the afternoon slot. Golf is important to me. As anyone who knows me knows it has been my main sport for the last 15 years or so. It is also one of the main reasons I'm doing all this cycling. I had such a bad competitive season last year that I had to find something new to do for my sanity. I've not given up golf; I've just taken a break from competitions and I'm only playing the odd game to keep my hand in and to make sure I'm still enjoying it if and when I want to go back.
Despite playing badly I had a great time on the golf course with one of my pals enjoying the sunny weather. The banter is the thing I miss most as most of my cycle training is done on my own and even when I have been out with other people chatting is not so easy. Then after lunch (and a trip to my local bike shop) it was out for today's scheduled miles.
The cycling was great. I had a following wind for the first 8 miles and made use of it. The speed down to Crail was fantastic. As it was a training session I tried to keep the cadence high whilst maintaining a good speed. As I had a great rush on these 8 miles I guess I succeeded. Of course on all circular rides the good times have to come to an end and the section from Crail to Anstruther was more difficult. Then the turn in Anstruther put me straight back into the wind. This last section also includes the route's short climbs so that made it doubly hard. Not so hard that I didn't have fun; just hard. The last mile or two should be a blast downhill but today there was a good headwind on this bit and I really struggled to make significant speed. But I got back to St. Andrews with a great big smile on my face.
All in all the ride was better than the golf but I enjoyed both for different reasons. Hopefully when the challenge ride is done I will be able to spend a little more time on my golf and then I can enjoy both of my sports equally.

The ride


No comments:

Post a Comment