Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Training

My training plan gave me an easier time this weekend. A nice day off yesterday doing nothing in particular but resting and enjoying a little time with friends and family. Then today the plan said 40 miles. On my agenda was a half a hill above Cults and a hill out of Lundin Links towards Peat Inn. I'd done most of it before but a long time ago (and it felt like it was going to kill me) so I wanted to try it again to see how I'm doing. So it was a question of finding a route encompassing the two. Add in one more fun hill and I had a route of just about 44 miles.
By the time I set out it was past gone mid-morning but that did mean it was slightly warmer than usual. There was also a slight westerly breeze. This seems to be the norm at the moment and it means that I end up riding out into the breeze. This usually means I end up riding down wind on the way home which is fine, but it does make the start of rides a little depressing. I'm hoping it also toughens me up.
Once I'd got to Chance Inn I was warm and in the groove. Which was good as I had decided to do the second half of the climb above Cults. Short and steep I'm not sure I fancy it as the second half of a longer climb. Once above the steep bit the road gives a lovely rolling run across to Bonnybank. At this point I'd done the majority of the riding against the wind and it was a delight to climb back up towards Craigrothie before turning down to Lundin Links. What followed was a fantastic winding descent to the seaside village. No sooner than I had arrived than it was time to leave and I turned north and up another of Fife's short sharp hills.
At the end of the hill I came to a cross-roads. I didn't remember this bit of the route and ended up taking the wrong road. Luckily I didn't go to far before realising my mistake and I wasn't too unhappy to ride back and regain my original route.
A short rolling road brought me to the bottom of the climb I wanted to check myself out on. I found it a lot easier than I had the first time I climbed it. I don't know if I was any quicker up it but I was certainly a lot fresher. From the top of this climb it was a very pleasant ride home through Ceres, Cupar and then up my favourite test hill, the one up to Strathkinness from the west. I was definitely having a good day as I took 25 seconds off my best time. I'm sure I had a little help from the breeze but I don't think that was the full story. I need to start accepting that I am getting fitter for cycling and that I can climb hills; short ones at least.
I had a great run, made even more pleasant by the weather and the fact it was relatively short.

The Ride


Idiot Road User of the Day

I'm going to give this to me today. I mis-judged, or mis-saw, a car coming along the road towards to me at Kemback bridge. I came out of the junction a little too close to him and am very grateful that the driver appeared to take no offence. So I guess the driver of the day goes to them. My apologies for behaving like a   spoilt cyclist; I don't like them either.

No comments:

Post a Comment